Weequahic Lake Fishing

Monday, August 9, 2010

Sight Fishing in Weequahic Park Lake for Bass!
















Ok, I admit that I like to fish, but I really love to catch. I'm not a fan of the old saying of veteran anglers: they say when your not catching "well they don't call it fishing for nothing.." At Weequahic Lake, especially because I'm very new to this lake, I target the fish that I can see. And even at 12:15 pm in the middle of summer, a time where most recommend that you do not fish, you can still catch. If you can see 'em, I am a fervent believer that you can catch em'. This small bass is proof.


Let me first start by saying that I am not an expert at all. There are many fisherman in this park that have decades of experience, literally and they know all the secrets and trends better than I could ever. However, on a day like today where I wass off by 11:00 am and wanted a few successful hours on the water, sight fishing is the way to go.  Here is the list of fish that I have visuall yspotted in the park over the last few weeks.
Many, many bluegill and sunfish, Carp and roaming Large mouth Bass. Each fish has it's own distinct feeding style, but I have seen all feeding during the mid day. This is not to say that they don't feed at other times. They most likely feed better early in the morning or later at dusk, this is just my scenario. Remember that if you can see em', than you can catch em'.

Because each fish has its own distinct feeding styles, they also have certaing ways they will take a hook. By far the most easy fish to catch in this lake are sunfish/bluegill. They are all over now. For me, I would say that next would be a tie between bass and Carp.

By far I would say that this is a carp lake. They are bubbling, flopping and grazing all over. Today I had a rough time placing my carp rigs and corn next to carp that I spotted so I wasn't as successful, but I was able to spot many small and nice sized bass roaming the edge line between weeds/moss and clear shore line underneath trees.

I caught a two pound bass by wacky rigging a senko worm and following behind a bass that was roaming close to shore. I found that if I stood behing the direction the bass was swimming, I didn't spook the fish and was able to make multiple casts to the bass. He finally swallowed the plastic when I placed the worm next to the weeds away from the shoreline a fe feet in front of the bass.

I would like to direct your attention to a major necessity for this type of fishing, that is polarized shades. Walmart sells them for about ten dollars. Get a pair, or by a pair of shades that are definetely polarized. It will allow you to cut the glare of the water and see the fish clearly. It is a definite difference and NOT a gimmick. You will need these.

Have fun fishing!!