Weequahic Lake Fishing

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Cat Fish in Weequahic Lake North Jersey


It's the middle of March and I am determined to figure this lake out. A technique that I have been using aside from talking to the veterans of the park is to walk the shore line with a pair of polarized shades and look at the life that is blooming. I've noticed that several things add up to bait fish and life. One, the areas that I have seen have been coves off of the main lake where the current always seem a bit calmer than the actual lake. Two, the lake should have sunny/shallow/muddy parts. It's a three way thing I guess, and the last piece that makes this area is magical in the spring is some sort of run off pipe. Now this is tricky because this lake's water levels are funny. I've seen it too high, last spring and too low during the summer. So in order for this to work in the spring, the water level must be high enough to meet the run-off pipe. And there it is. In these areas I have seen significant bait fish action and carp feeding. Now, how to interpret this? I'm not sure, but I'll be fishing these areas first. On this Saturday I was carping with corn in an area that's generally full of carp in the spring, but no luck except this baby cat. 
All in all, it was still a fun time.